* The Goal is Valparaiso, another school my sister considered and I'm taking another look at myself. Most of this day will be through classic Indiana, and I'm hoping to spend some of it cycling with some new friends from the Lafayette/Monticello area club that I've connected with via these Interwebs... Still working on sleeping arrangements, but hoping that Valpo itself might have a room to rent or borrow.
The plan is to depart from the Johnson County Courthouse, downtown Franklin, IN, just a few blocks from home at 8am.
* We'll cycle through Franklin College, my hometown college, but has lots of family connections, then visit my Elementary School (Webb) and my current school, Franklin Community High School, then head North, skirting the edge of civilization in order to swing into Indianapolis and ride through the campus of UIndy, where my big sister will start in August.
* From UIndy, we'll head up to the Indianapolis Cultural trail, take an obligatory tour around Indy's "Circle" and head through White River State park up through the campus of Butler University, which was my sister's second choice and a strong contender for me.
* Next, we'll follow the Canal Trail to Broad Ripple then pick up the Monon Trail and take that North till it ends. After that, we venture into some rural roads and end at Wesley Manor, the United Methodist Retirement Community where my great-grandparent spend the last several years of their lives, and which has fond memories for me. I'll get to visit my Great-Grand-Aunt, Nelle, while there!
* The plan is to cover 100 miles on Day One, which should be a great start to the journey!
This is my biggest training challenge and confidence booster. My Dad has ridden this each of the last two years - 160 miles from Indiana's Western edge at the College of St. Mary of the Woods in West Terre Haute, all the way across Indiana mostly via the Historic National Road, U.S. 40, to the Eastern edge of the State at Earlham College in Richmond.
Knowing that I can ride 160 miles in a day is going to be a big inspiration for me as I look ahead to "The Ride!"
My first "Back to Back to Back" days of longer rides. All with our local club, CIBA, Saturday is 60, Sunday is 50 and Monday is at least 40.